Fire guts down four tourist hotels in Zanzibar, billions lost

By The Citizen Reporter

Zanzibar. Tourists and hotel workers on Friday night escaped unhurt after four tourist hotels in Jambiani Zanzibar caught fire around 1700 in a strange accident.

The Fire and Rescue Department has been able to put out the fire in about 2,000 hours with owners so far to determine the true losses believed to be in the billions of shillings.

The region’s police chief, Suleiman Hassan, said in an interview with the citizen that three of the hotels were completely burned, and nothing was saved except the rescued guests.

But he said that although all property was destroyed, no visitors or staff were killed or injured as a result of the fire, which was said to be huge due to the hotels’ thatched roofs.

“The fire started in Villa de Coco and spread to nearby hotels mainly due to high winds,” he said.

The other hotels are Spice Island which lost six rooms, Fun Beach and Cobe which were all destroyed and their yet to be determined guests were evacuated to other hotels.

Ads

He said the cause of the fire has not yet been determined, but initial reports say it was due to an electrical fault in the kitchen at Villa de Coco.

According to the regional commander, the hotels are owned by different foreign owners.

An eyewitness who gave his name as Moalem Saeed Ali said that the fire was huge due to strong winds that delayed putting it out.

Recent Articles

Related Stories

Leave A Reply

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Stay on op - Ge the daily news in your inbox